Information Charter

We need to handle personal information about you so that we can provide services to you. This sets out how we look after that information.

When we ask you for personal information, we promise:

  • to make sure you know why we need it;
  • to only ask for what we need, and not to collect too much or irrelevant information;
  • to protect it and make sure nobody has access to it who should not;
  • to let you know if we share it with other organisations to give you better public services - and if you can say no;
  • to make sure we don’t keep it longer than necessary and;
  • not to make your personal information available for commercial use without your permission.

In return, we ask you to:

  • give us accurate information and;
  • tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes, such as a new address.

This helps us to keep your information reliable and up to date.

You can get more details on:

  • how to find out what information we hold about you and how to ask us to correct any mistakes;
  • agreements we have with other organisations for sharing information;
  • circumstances where we can pass on your personal information without telling you,for example, to prevent and detect crime or to produce anonymised statistics;
  • our instructions to staff on how to collect, use and delete your personal information;
  • how we check the information we hold is accurate and up to date and;
  • how to make a complaint.

For more information please contact:

Chief Information Officer
Thurrock Thames Gateway Development Corporation
Gateway House
Stonehouse Lane
RM19 1NX

When we ask you for information we will keep to the law, including the Data Protection Act 1998. For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data-sharing issues, you can contact the Information Commissioner at:

Wycliffe House,
Water Lane,
Wilmslow, Cheshire,
SK9 5AF.

Phone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45
Fax: 01625 524510.


Complaints Procedure

Our Commitment

We are committed to providing the highest standards of service to everyone we deal with. We welcome complaints as well as feedback and suggestions for improvement as they help us to review our service performance and identify how we can make it better. We will provide the highest standards of service to everyone we deal with.

We aim to provide a complaints procedure that is:

  • accessible;
  • easy to use;
  • fair to all parties;
  • confidential;
  • speedy and;
  • efficient.

We will monitor and analyse complaints as part of our review of service performance, and will regularly review the effectiveness of our complaints procedure to ensure that it remains relevant, credible and robust.

What is a complaint?

A complaint for the purposes of this procedure is one that relates to:

Any expression of dissatisfaction with the service provided or action carried out by a Corporation staff member, or person or body acting on behalf of the Corporation and can be verbal or written.

It does not include:

  • Dissatisfaction with central government or those of the local authority or other public bodies or the Corporation’s own policies – which should be dealt with in normal correspondence.
  • Third party dissatisfaction with a person or organisation applying for Corporation funding for a contract.
  • Dissatisfaction about Board Members - the Corporation has a separate Code of Conduct for Board Members
  • Complaints that are currently the subject of legal proceeding.

An individual complaining about a local partnership should be referred to the local partnership. If the individual is dissatisfied with the outcome, they should be advised to refer it to the accountable body. The Corporation will only get involved as a last resort, on very serious complaints or allegations, with a view to assisting both parties resolve the complaint: Where the individual is unhappy with the outcome of their complaint to the accountable body. Helpful information should be given to the individual.

Making a complaint


Stage Informal

If you have a complaint about our services you should in the first instance contact the Corporation member of staff with whom you have been dealing with, or the person responsible for the project. We can usually resolve complaints in this way.

You can telephone, fax, post, or email your complaint. If you want to, you may ask a friend or relative to make a complaint on your behalf, or you may ask a voluntary or community group to take up your complaint with us.

Stage Formal

If it is not appropriate for you to contact the staff member directly as referred to in stage 1, or you are not satisfied with the stage 1 response, you should write or speak to the Director of Resources at the address below, who will refer the complaint for investigation to a Director responsible for that service or staff member.

Stage Chief Executive Review

If you are still dissatisfied with the response, you may refer your concern to the Chief Executive by writing to the address below.

Response Time

We will acknowledge your complaint within five working days. We will provide a full response within 20 working days of receipt, unless further investigation is required. In which case we will advise you of the reasons for a delay and provide an alternative timescale for a full response.

Content of response

When we respond we will make sure that we offer a full explanation, an apology where appropriate, and assurances for the future. We will also let you have details of the action we will take or will offer as a result of your complaint.

At each stage of our response we will include a satisfaction feedback form, which asks if you are satisfied with the handling of your complaint and our response. We also ask you to provide information about your gender, ethnicity, age and disability status. The reason we ask for this information is so that we can monitor whether any group is disadvantaged by the way we provide our services or handle complaints.


All complaints are treated as confidential. This means your identity will only be revealed to members of staff who are dealing with your complaint, unless you have made allegations about third parties in your complaint, or the law requires us to identify you in accordance with the principles of Natural Justice. The information you provide will not be published or revealed to anyone outside the Corporation in a manner that could identify you as the subject of the information.


We will publish on our website information about complaints that we receive, our performance in meeting our response targets and what action we have taken to improve our services. The publication of all information will be in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and will not be published in a way that could disclose you as the person making the complaint or any person directly concerned with the complaint.

What to do if you are not satisfied with our response

If having followed the 3-stage procedure above, you feel that:

  • you have been caused ‘injustice’ as a result of maladministration by the Corporation or;
  • you are not satisfied with the Corporation’s response.

You can complain to the our sponsoring department, Communities and Local Government. See below for the Communities and Local Government’s address.

We welcome any feedback or complaints about our service. Any comments you have should be directed to:

Chief Information Officer
Thurrock Thames Gateway Development Corporation
Gateway House
Stonehouse Lane
RM19 1NX

If you remain unhappy after a stage two response, you may refer your concern to:

Chief Executive
Thurrock Thames Gateway Development Corporation
Civic Offices

New Road



RM17 6SL

If you still remain unhappy, or feel you have suffered an injustice as a result of lack of care, judgement or honesty (maladministration) with your complaint, you may contact:

Communities and Local Government
Eland House
Bressenden Place

This guidance provides general information only. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that the information is accurate, it is not a full and authoritative statement of the law and you should not rely upon it as such. The Thurrock Thames Gateway Development Corporation cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions as a result of negligence or otherwise.

Contact us